Macri, Barañao and Vidal presented cooperation Strategic Projects in the public sector
The president of Argentina and the Minister of Science, together with the governor of Buenos Aires, presented a set of research and development transversal initiatives to improve the quality of life of the Argentines
Barañao celebrated the political decision to resort to science and technology as tools for the development of society and economy.
Mauricio Macri, the President of Argentina, María Eugenia Vidal, the governor of the province of Buenos Aires, and Lino Barañao, the head of the portfolio of Science, Technology and Productive Innovation, visited Polo Espacial Punta Indio today for the presentation of Collective Innovation – Science and Technology to live better. It is an initiative that will provide research, development and innovation (R&D&I) services to national ministries, in order to deal with dissatisfied social demands and boost key areas of the economy. During this announcement, the first project, associated with satellite industry, was presented.
"This day must be celebrated, for it depicts the political decision to resort to science and technology as tools for the development of society and economy. This, in conclusion, fosters distribution of income and the access of the population to a better quality of life,” highlighted Barañao. The Minister explained that the proposal targets design and the implementation of coordinated government actions involving scientific research, technological development and productive innovation in order to attain the objectives given priority in all the jurisdictions of Argentina.
Through Collective Innovation, the portfolio of Science will back other State bodies in the implementation of their own strategic plans in a more efficient way, thanks to new solutions that help reduce costs and time line, benefitting their scalability at the same time.
Governor Vidal alleged: “The work undertaken by the Argentina National Space Activities Commission (Comisión Nacional de Actividades Espaciales, CONAE) is inspiring, for it proves that the effort is worth it. Nowadays, our mission is to transmit to the youth the enthusiasm that implies learning, progressing and becoming the future engineers and chemists necessary for the improvement of our lives and the lives of our children. At the end of the day, that is what innovation is all about: more inclusion and less poverty."
President Macri declared: “These 12 initiatives will help us take care of the most vulnerable populations, which are so close to this aerospace port. We must bring solutions to the sectors which have been invisible to the State's eyes for a long time.” At the same time, he assured: “We are a country filled with quality and abilities; all we need now is to spread them to every sector.”
In this way, the work of the Ministry of Science and CONAE was set within a framework aimed at boosting the local construction of satellites and rocket launchers parts. The project, which objective is the growth of SMEs specialized in the field, puts special emphasis on the creation of scientific and technological knowledge, with the intention of expanding the role of Argentina in the international market of assets with high value added.
Marcos Peña, the Chief of the Cabinet of Ministers; Conrado Varotto, the CEO of the Argentina National Space Activities Commission (Comisión Nacional de Actividades Espaciales, CONAE), Agustín Campero, the secretary of Scientific and Technological Articulation, and Jorge Aguado, the undersecretary of Science, Technology and Productive Innovation Policies, also participated during the presentation.
Different bodies of the public sector will join forces with the Argentine Ministry of Science in order to fulfill the following projects:
- Aquiculture: boost is given to the sustainable raising of marine species by using integrated multi-trophic farms which enable a better exploitation and preservation of the resource. Participation of the Ministries of Agro-Industry and Production.
- Urbanization of vulnerable areas: technological tools to make water drinkable, produce energy and treat urban solid garbage will we implemented. Likewise, improvements to housing and transport diagrams shall be analyzed in order to guarantee the sustainability of each area. This is being carried out in 100 towns as defined by the Ministry of the Interior and in Barrio 31 Carlos Mugica of the City of Buenos Aires.
- Targeted therapy: medical assistance will be adapted to the needs of each person, thus accelerating the process that starts with the research and ends with actual assistance given to the patient. At the same time, improvements in preventive and palliative treatments shall be investigated. The Ministry of Health participates in the design of this module.
- Renewable energies: the creation of a National Renewable Energy Center is stipulated, which shall carry out research into technology related to generation, storage and use of clean-origin electricity. These actions are backed by the Ministry of Energy and Mines.
- Forensic Genetics: it consists of a unified record of genetic data by using a computer platform that will enable the exchange of information among courts of different jurisdictions. Thanks to the integrity of this measure, the forensic system will be favored throughout the country. Participation of the Ministry of Security and Justice.
- Food for the elder: it will be specifically designed to cover the nutrition needs of this age bracket. The Ministry of Social Development will be in charge of administering the products obtained by means of this project.
- Precision agriculture: it consists of a platform of big data to facilitate cooperation among the public, private and academic sectors for the development of implementations for the agricultural and livestock sector. This plan is being carried out with the Ministry of Agro-Industry.
- 21st century classroom: it implies concept tests associated with new technologies for the teaching process, which will be subsequently analyzed at specific centers. The Ministry of Education is part of this experience.
- Technologies to fight catastrophes: it involves a technological development which will be able to foresee atmospheric phenomena more accurately. This tool will be useful since it will improve the mechanisms used by the State when facing climate catastrophes. Participation of the Ministries of Defense and Security.
- Intelligent Materials: by combining different materials, we expect to reduce costs and time for the construction of roads and railway sleepers. In this case, the portfolio of Science will support the Ministry of Transport.
For more information on the Strategic Projects encouraged by the Ministry of Science, jointly with other national portfolios, you can visit the website: http://innovacioncolectiva.mincyt.gob.ar/